In light of Women’s Health Week (May 10-16, 2020), I’m sharing an important reminder for you to make health a priority and to take care of yourself as we continue to navigate these uncertain times. Last year, I had the privilege of attending an intimate discussion hosted by CCRM Fertility. The discussion included women from all walks of life. With 11 locations in the U.S. and Canada — a leading pioneer in fertility science, research, advancement and innovative technology (I personally know friends who have gone here with much success), it’s no wonder they’ve achieved international recognition for excellence in the field. I felt compelled to share my findings again, so we (friends/family of those impacted) can make a positive difference in their fertility journey. I am grateful to have not been impacted by infertility with my two babies but the reality is, 1 in 8 couples in the U.S. are impacted by infertility, so CCRM Fertility’s mission to help normalize the topic of infertility is incredibly important for every woman and couple. I’m sure I don’t stand alone when I say that we all know someone who is journeying through infertility. I wanted to attend last year’s discussion to learn how to support a friend through infertility. Now more than ever, those who are journeying through infertility need additional support to help them through the many transitions caused by the current global health crisis. Here’s what I learned at least year’s event and I hope this helps you support any loved ones currently facing infertility to navigate these times:
SUPPORTING A FRIEND THROUGH INFERTILITY
- Understand their need for space
- Be sensitive when sharing your own news/journey and watch out for ‘triggering language’ Examples include: ‘just relax, it’ll happen when it will happen’ or, ‘I got pregnant so quickly’ ‘have you tried this?’ (just to name a few). I’ve been guilty of accidental trigger language, and it’s something that’s weighed very heavily on me over the years. Why I felt compelled to share what I’ve learned, so you don’t make the same mistakes. Knowing what to say/how to be there for someone speaks volumes. These women need people in their corners rooting them on each step of the way. While we mean well, sometimes that doesn’t carry over according to plan.
- Know it’s not your way to problem solve. Leave that up to the doctors. Again, you mean well, but make sure to give them enough space when needed.
- Let them guide the conversation.
- Focus on showing up, always: ‘I’m here for you whenever you want to talk’ ‘I’m thinking of you’ ‘how are you feeling today’ etc.
- Take care of yourself: Know that a friend’s need for space doesn’t have anything to do with you. Just keep showing up and let them know you’re there when ready.
I’m proud to partner up with CCRM Fertility to raise awareness for something so many women battle silently. CCRM Fertility aims to provide the fastest path to a healthy baby and has recently even taken extra steps to ensure women feel supported through their journeys, especially during these trying times. For those who are considering pregnancy, now or in the future, and especially individuals currently journeying through infertility, CCRM TV provides insight on fertility wellness tips, including: nutrition tips, vitamins and supplements to support fertility, stress reduction with yoga & meditation & more.
HOW CCRM FERTILITY STANDS OUT FROM THE REST
The results speak for themselves. CCRM Fertility’s patients get pregnant 33% faster than patients being treated by other U.S. fertility clinics (based on SART national average data). What’s better is 9 out of 10 patients would recommend CCRM Fertility to friends and family. Not only does CCRM Fertility offer its patients best-in-class patient care and access to a network of award-winning physicians, a full suite of fertility services, innovative technology and cutting-edge labs, unlike many other fertility clinics that outsource their specialists and testing needs, CCRM Fertility leverages its own data, as well as a dedicated team of in-house reproductive endocrinologists, embryologists and geneticists in order to deliver consistent, successful results.
While there have been many changes to fertility treatment guidelines amid the pandemic, your fertility doesn’t wait and in today’s ever-changing environment, now’s the time to consider fertility treatment to help you live your dream of having a baby. CCRM Fertility is currently offering all treatments to all new and existing patients across its network. Another amazing update is CCRM Fertility’s One Day Work-Up. Traditional fertility testing can take weeks or months to complete, but the One Day Work-Up program allows patients to complete testing in a SINGLE appointment so that you can get started on your path to pregnancy quicker to maximize chances of having a healthy baby. In turn, this reduces the number of appointments per patient (minimizing office visits and allowing for a safer environment for staff and patients).
**This post is in partnership with CCRM Fertility. If you have anything to add, please email email@example.com and I will happily include your input!