As many of you know, I’ve been working with the incredibly talented team at the Northbrook Sassoon Salon right outside Chicago. It’s located in the most beautiful shopping center with some of my favorite stores (Hello Louis Vuitton, Michael Kors & Lululemon — just to name a few!) I always like to make a fun day out of getting my hair done — we deserve to be pampered every now and then! Am I right? Plus, it’s the perfect excuse to get out of the city for a few hours, and enjoy some tranquility. Recently, I had the pleasure of interviewing one of my favorite Top Stylists, Lauren Shaffer, on how to create the ultimate beach babe chic! After-all, that’s where I’ll be spending the majority of my summer, duh!
For those of you that missed our recent posts, make sure to check them out below:
- How to grow your hair faster with Sassoon Salon Director, Julien Da Costa Faro.
- Festival braid chic — The cutest crown braid that you ever did see! (Styled by Sassoon Salon Stylist, Lauren Shaffer)
- Summertime hair-care | The best splurges, and tips
Now, let’s chat beach babe chic! When it comes to ‘natural’ beach hair, it’s important to remember these 5 things // Via the pro herself, Lauren Shaffer.
HOW TO CREATE BEACH BABE CHIC
- Don’t think too much, it’s perfectly fine to let your hair air dry and go from there!
- Adding product such as a texturizing spray will give your hair the ‘grit’ it needs for an effortless look (gives texture & body) — We’re sharing those products later on, hang tight!
- It’s meant to look like you’ve been at the beach all day, perfecting isn’t necessary. // Adding on to Lauren’s tip — This is so important! We also took this into consideration when creating my braid for the festival last weekend. We strive for perfection, when the undone/messy look is all part of the process. Trust us!
- You can achieve this look with a flat-iron or curling iron, you want to get a bend in the hair (around mid-length) but make sure the ends have a ‘piecey’ straight look. Easily achieved by flattening the ends with a flat iron or when using a curling iron/wand leaving an inch out when wrapping the hair around it.
- Let your hair cool before fussing with the texture you’ve created. Finish the hair with a spritz (all over the head) of your favorite seal salt spray, texturized or a paste to piece your waves out. // Adding on again — I’m so guilty of messing with my hair when it’s still cooling, remember to be patient!
Beach hair is a great way to toss the blow-dryer. It’s also a great excuse to let hair ‘air-dry’ and create a natural/healthy look. In the words of Lauren herself, ‘Over drying hair can be very damaging and may even cause static. Always be sure to use a heat protector before applying any type of thermal heat to your hair’ — Summer can be a great time to repair those unhealthy strands! Let it all go! Lazy-chic is in!
FAVORITE PRODUCTS FOR BEACH WAVES
- Kerastase Ciment Thermique: Apply when hair is wet. This is my ultimate favorite thermal protector.
- Kerastase V.I.P: (Volume in Powder) Apply once dry in root area, gives nice lift and a bit of grit for hair. Who doesn’t love a little body?! — Um, yes please!
- Moroccanoil Dry Texture Spray: Once your beach wave is achieved, apply for finished soft look.
- Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray Strong: Although this spray is stated to be a strong hold, it gives a nice manageable hold.
- Curling Irons and wand size all depend on the length of your hair. I tend to gravitate more toward the inch to inch and a half size. Favorite wands include: GHD Curve Classic Wave Wand, Nume Lustrom (5 wands in one) and GHD Curve Classic Curl Iron.
- You can find all of the above products at your local Sassoon Salon! Be on the look-out for savings, too!
Lauren also recommends braiding hair in sections before bed (depending on how curly you want it) and you can sleep in them, or if you’re in a hurry: Use a flat iron over the braids. Remember to let cool and release the braids. (Love that trick!)
Lauren’s favorite ‘hairspirations’ are:
Lauren loves YouTube for inspiration, hair tutorials and how-to’s! Who are your favorites? Share them below! Don’t forget to stop in, say hi & book an appointment at your local Sassoon Salon. They’re such an incredible, hard-working team & I’ve really enjoyed my time getting to know everyone! Happy Friday!