‘Think happy thoughts and they will shine from your face like sun beams, and you will always look lovely’ -Roald Dahl
I posted this story on Glitter Guide, but wanted to share with all of you! Please remember to spread love, kindness & always surround yourself with positivity. I thought we could use some pick-me-ups this morning after a long night. Love to all of my readers, and shine on! xx
If you’re not a morning person (raises both hands) The struggle is real each morning. Whether you’re repeatedly pressing snooze, reaching for an XL coffee, or sprinting to your AM meeting from over-sleeping — we feel you. For most of us, we’re glued to schedules and daily routines which force us out the door; but we want you to get excited to start a new day. Yes, it’s possible. To add a sunnier start to your day, we’re sharing 10 morning-hacks that will have you singing with the birds in no time! Waking up early is scientifically proven to boost energy, metabolism and moods. (I’ll take one of each, please!)
- Flower Power: Psychologists believe that we see flowers as a ‘safe haven’ — The sight of a colorful bouquet in the morning makes us happy. Personally, I keep fresh blooms on my nightstand so it’s the first thing I see. (It’s my favorite weekend activity!) Experts also suggest that people who do this wake up happier, less anxious and more energetic at work. Sometimes, it really is the small things! PS: Mine are only $5.99 from Trader Joe’s! Cheaper than your morning soy lattè!
- Go to Bed Earlier: Set your sleep-timers! Get your smart phones out of your face! Bright screens are a no-go when it comes to a positive sleep pattern. Experts suggest that falling asleep an hour earlier (only an hour!) will boost optimism, alertness and productivity. It will also help you rise a little easier in the morning. Sweet dreams, babes.
- Wake up Earlier: Yup, there’s a catch. If you’re falling asleep earlier, you get to rise earlier! There’s a long-list of benefits associated with waking up earlier, and it certainly has a huge effect on how the rest of your day goes.
- Sleep Naked: Experts also suggest a long-list of benefits to sleeping naked — but, you’ll wake up feeling sexier and that definitely counts for something!
- Shades for Days: If the sun is out and about (we miss it in Chicago) — grab a pair of shades! The sun makes you squint which can bring down your mood (who would have thought?!)
- Stay off Social Media: If you’re anything like me — you’re checking e-mail, Instagram, & FB from bed. Stop! Without realizing it, social media can trigger feelings which may/may not start you off on the right foot. Each morning spent away from technology is a great thing! Give this a week, and see where you’re at. Guarantee you’ll be happier!
- Wake up to a Clean Space: Do all of your tidying up before bed. When you wake up in a clean space — you’ll feel refreshed, and peaceful. The messier the room, the messier your mind. Ain’t nobody got time for that!
- Smile: Regardless of how you feel, try to smile. Even better: smile at yourself in the mirror. Laugh if you must — but it’s definitely worth a try!
- Inspire Yourself: Start off each day with something inspirational. I absolutely love Pinterest (it always sparks my creative juices). An encouraging podcast, or book are also great alternatives!
- Stretch: My fiancé stretches each morning for 25 minutes. He says it does wonders for his mood, energy & metabolism. He hasn’t gone a day without stretching in a year! I have yet to get on this bandwagon, but I’ll certainly add it to my list of morning musts!